Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tractor Driving



I finally was able to get out to the farm to make hay. We are doing a study on primocane blackberries and comparing organic methods of production to conventional methods. The organic method utilizes non-synthetic fertilizer nitrogen sources and we needed green grass clippings as one of the ingredients to the raised growing beds. We tried to square bale the green hay but the baler was not able to tie the green bales. I ended up using a pitch fork to throw it on a hay wagon to fill the raised growing beds. You can see the raised growing beds in the picture where I am driving the tractor on the lefthand side of the picture. Not a fun job but I did get to drive a tractor today! Who would have ever thought that a boy from suburbia Madison, WI would be making hay and working on a 180 acre research farm. Did I mention that I got to drive a tractor today?

No comments: