Sunday, July 6, 2008

Family Picture



Today was usual. Go to Church in the morning and spend time with the kids in the afternoon. I took a family picture before we left for Church and it did not turn out so well. I posted it anyway since it is the only updated picture I have. Also, Becca wanted her picture taken with me so we set up the tripod and took this wonderful picture. I am wearing my Red Cross shirt that I received for donating blood. I went to give blood on July 4th for selfish reasons, they were giving out free shirts and a $5 gas card. Jen went at 11:30 A.M. and received her free shirt and gas card. By the time I got there one hour later they were out of gas cards and I was given the last XL shirt. At first I was upset for not getting the gas card but during the screening process I was reminded that I am a "CMV Hero" and by donating I was not being selfish at all. This is a designation for donors that are CMV-free and my blood is used specifically for infants, cancer patients and transplant recipients. Cytomegalovirus or CMV is a common virus and anyone can become infected with CMV. Almost all people have been exposed to CMV by the time they reach adulthood (Citation - NY Department of Health, 2008). It was a nice fuzzy feeling moment to know that I can help others even without getting a $5 gas card.

No comments: