Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sometimes it is Hard to be a Professor








This past Thursday and Friday I had a 2 day meeting with a landscaping company out of MD. Their company covers from PA to GA and grosses about $ 70 million per year. The meeting was at the company president's house just outside of St Michaels, MD which is located on the Eastern Shore of MD on the Chesapeake Bay. On the way there I had to cross the Bay Bridge which I think is the longest bridge I have ever driven on. The bridge is 4.3 miles long and the driving surface is 200 feet up from the Bay. There is two bridges with 3 lanes on each bridge, it was pretty amazing (First 2 pics). I spent the night in a B&B called The Oaks which was built in 1748. The B&B is about a 30 minute boat ride from St Michaels. The cove where the B&B is located was full of jellyfish swimming in the water. The picture before the jellyfish shows the two boats that we were using the two days departing back to the president's house. There were three faculty that were at this meeting from WV (myself), MD and GA. We were picked up by boat each day in a speed boat (worth $60K) for our commute to our meeting. On the commute in on Friday morning there were crabbers all over the bay pulling in crabs, very interesting to see. We ate lunch at the Crab Claw in St Michaels. The restaurant is located right on the water and we tied our boats to the side, got out and ate. We ate a ton of steamed blue crabs. Eating crabs are worth it but a whole lot of work. We noticed at the next table over from us there was a couple with a parrot and the lady kept giving the bird crab legs to eat. I have now found a new vacation spot, St Michaels, MD. It was a very nice trip (and productive too). Sometimes it is hard to be a professor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How come you get to go cool places for your conferences? I go to Bloomington.