Sunday, September 11, 2011

Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Well, Just Planes.

Last month Fargo had the annual air show. This year the Navy Blue Angels were the featured guests. S and D really wanted to see them as did I. Seeing the Blue Angels in person has been a dream of mine for 20 years. Seeing them was one item on my bucket list. We spent an entire Sat. afternoon watching some of the coolest planes and stunts that I have ever seen. There was one stunt pilot that did a fly-by with the cockpit open and was standing up on his seat to wave at the crowd. Another plane did loops and several engine stalls and allowed the plane to free fall until the last moment and started the engines back up. They were crazy.



Before the show started, we were able to tour through a cC-27J Spartan support airlift plane. S and D even had an opportunity to sit in the pilots seat. Way cool!





One of the coolest flights was the USAF Heritage Flight which serves as a living memorial to the men and women of the USAF past and present. During this flight two planes (Modern F-18 Jet and P-51 Mustang from WWII) flew together in formation. This was very emotional to watch.


Finally at the end of the show the Blue Angels took flight. They put on quite a show. Awesome formations, amazing control, simply amazing pilots and planes. At the end of the show, the Blue Angel pilots walked over and gave autographs. I was amazed at how personable they were to all of the kids and gave each child personal attention. They had class. When D was getting the Commanding Officer's ( Capt Greg McWherter) autograph, he told him that he wanted to be a Blue Angel Pilot some day. Capt McWherter smiled and told D that he would see him in 30 years. I was happy because I was able to shake their hands.







What a great day!

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

I don't even see the snow in your pictures, yet:) It looks like you're finding really fun things to do up north:)!