Thursday, November 19, 2009
Be Very Very Quiet, I'm Hunting Deer
Yesterday I went out bow hunting. I have been out several times this season and usually have seen deer each time but rarely have they come within range (I like them to be at nor more than 20 yards). I chose a new tree for my climbing stand and had put out some doe scent about 15 yards behind me. The wind was perfect yesterday carrying the scent up over to the top of the ridge. At 8 AM my 8 point buck must have caught the scent and came trotting down to check it out. Once it was under my stand I made a grunt sound and he froze. At this moment I took a shot and unfortunately, shot him in his spine. This severed his spinal cord paralyzing his hind legs. I then shot a second arrow and hit his shoulder. At this point I was really wondering what was wrong with my shooting skills (this was all in a matter of about 6 seconds). I then grabbed one more arrow to get a vitals shot and drew back my bow and the string popped. My bow made an exploding sound and broke my carbon fiber arrow in two places. I was not happy to have this happen but it definitely explained why my shots were not going where I had aimed. Fortunately, my shots were fatal and he died quickly. I am happy that I was able to get at least one deer before rifle season this year. Deer jerky, here we come!





Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
'Tis the season...so first you like to scare like 250 kids and then you go and kill Bambi...don't worry we know you're "perfectly normal"...it just sounds weird. Good luck with the jerky!
Post a Comment