Sunday, December 21, 2008

Jerky Boy!

I have had several requests for the recipe that I use to make my jerky. I wrote it up to one person and sent via email and thought I should post here. Here it is:

Alex's Famous Jerky
3 lbs of ground venison (if you have to you can use ground beef)
Jerky Spice Seasoning Kit* (3 packages of NESCO spice kit)
1 T Cayenne pepper (reduce or omit to reduce the heat especially for some kids)
2 T honey (brown sugar or maple syrup) - I prefer and use maple syrup
1-2 T garlic powder
1 T black pepper
1-2 drops liquid smoke

Mix in large bowl by hand until well mixed.
Use jerky press to make jerky strips.
Dehydrate by method of choice (I prefer using a dehydrator instead of oven).

*I prefer NESCO-American Harvest Jerky Spice Seasoning kit because the kit uses one pack per lb of meat and there are 6 packets per box. This can be purchased from Walmart, usually found by the small appliances and not the food section.

My kids love this jerky so much that they eat it on the way to school in the morning and as a snack after school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do I have to have shot my own venison with a bow in order for this jerky to taste good?