Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Farm, Ice, Fish and Halloween

I need to get better about posting on a daily basis again so that the post is more focused and not so scatterbrained. On Monday evening I had a College of Agriculture Faculty and Staff picnic. The picnic is always held at the WVU Livestock farm. The kids love it because when we are done eating and visiting we head up the hill to the barns to look at all of the animals. We went through the dairy cow, cattle, sheep and pig barns. The kids really enjoyed seeing and petting the baby Holsteins.




Today was a great day. I came home early from work and I brought dry ice home from my lab. The kids enjoyed playing with it while they were doing their homework.


After dinner, Michael, Sam and I went out to the WVU Agronomy Farm (this is the farm where I do my research) for a cub scout activity that I had arranged to go fishing at our pond. This pond is the perfect kid fishing pond, we keep it stocked with bluegills, bass and catfish. Basically every cast, you catch a fish which keeps the kids excited about fishing. Sam caught his first fish tonight and Michael had no luck, the fish kept eating his worms off from his hook. All of the boys from pack 74 had a blast.



Today we were able to get most of the cemetary fence up in our side lot. That's right, Halloween is right around the corner and I am getting ready for my favorite non-Christian holiday. I made a fence that runs nearly 40 feet across our front lot and then curves toward the house with a gate in the front yard. I plan on making 15 - 20 tombstones to go into the graveyard. I also received my pneumatic scarecrow in the mail which when activated lunges toward people passing by. I am thinking about converting it to be a skeleton and placing it on the edge of the cemetery so it fits with the theme more. I am very excited about Halloween and I hope to get a few more screams this year.


3 comments:

Kristin said...

Very cool graveyard! That's fun, too, that you brought home dry ice to play with. Lucky kids!

Jeanette said...

Your Halloween obsession is way over the top! We put out 8 jack-o-lanterns already, but that's about it! I wish our kids could come trick-or-treat at your house, that would be the best! Do you have a security guard this year? I hope all of your great stuff stays your great stuff!

Anonymous said...

Did the kids let the Holstein babies suck on their fingers? That's my favorite thing about calves. So cute!